Would you like to be a lawyer? We tell you more about this profession
Tuesday, 1 February 2022
Do you want to become a lawyer? In this article, we share some relevant information about this profession.
The college degree in law leads to a career with many job opportunities and that offers a wide variety of approaches, one of them is to practice as a lawyer. If you are interested in studying for a college degree in law, this article is for you! Let's begin…
What is a lawyer and what tasks does she/he perform?
An attorney is a person who is licensed to practice and maintain the law while protecting the rights of the individuals she/he serves.
Some tasks generally associated with lawyers are legal advice and consulting, investigation and collection of information or evidence, preparation of legal documents related to divorces, wills, contracts, and real estate transactions, and prosecution or defense in court.
A lawyer is responsible for a wide variety of tasks such as researching information, drafting documents, mediating disputes, and providing advice to citizens about their legal rights.
Professionals in this career have job opportunities in law firms, in private companies, they can also work for the State as a public defender or for the prosecution. It is known that lawyers who have just graduated and have been hired usually carry out tasks such as information research, administration of digital files, folios, documents, folders, files, among other elements, and help in the preparation of trials, files, or legal requirements.
What are the types of lawyers that we can find?
As we have mentioned, this career offers a wide range of options to practice, and even in the approach to law, there are different specializations. Next, we share the different types of lawyers that we can find in the U.S.:
- Divorce Lawyers: They are those experts who focus on the legal issues of divorce and dissolution of marriage.
- Immigration lawyers: they are in charge of determining the rights, duties, and legal obligations of a foreign person and help with obtaining legal citizenship within the country.
- Employment lawyers or labor lawyers: are those who focus on employer-employee relations and the procedures that compose them such as contracts, regulations, negotiation agreements, protection against discrimination, wages and hours of work, health and safety, and separation negotiations.
- Accident and personal injury lawyers: They are generally in charge of dealing with civil law cases focused on injuries to the body, mind, or emotions and compensation for injuries suffered in an accident.
- Corporate and Business Lawyers: They are the experts in dealing with contracts, sales, commercial paper, agency and employment law, business and property organizations.
- Family Lawyers: They focus on any situation that may arise during marriage, civil unions and domestic partnerships, legitimacy, adoption, surrogacy, child abuse, and child abduction.
- Criminal lawyers: focus mainly on crimes and their punishments.
- Bankruptcy Lawyers: They are those who focus on people or organizations that declare their inability to pay their creditors.
Devoting yourself to this professional activity will give you a wide and dynamic field of action.
If you would like to receive more information about online universities and programs to study for a college degree online that prepares you academically to practice as a lawyer, we invite you to fill out the form available on our site.